Mrs. Paula Chinwe Okafor Prize for Creative Non-Fiction |2019 Edition
Crater Library& Publisher invites submissions for the second edition of Mrs. Paula Chinwe Okafor Prize for Creative Non-Fiction. The prize, which is worth NGN 200,000 recognizes distinction in Nigerian creative non-fiction.
It honors the life and work of Mrs. Paula Chinwe Okafor (1956 -2016), an avid reader and a lover of the arts and literature. Young Nigerian women (ages 18-35) writing in English within creative non-fiction genre are eligible to enter the competition.
Such works must be distinguished by first-hand research, a clear narrative style with a well-crafted interpretive writing and a creative use of language or approach to the subject matter. Selection will be based on quality, originality, and the capacity of the story to remain undiminished by the passage of time.
The winner will be announced on the 14th of December at the Crater Literary Festival, Enugu.
- Open to only Nigerian females (ages 18-35)
- Creative non-fiction (personal essay, memoir, travel writing, narrative journalism etc.)
- No restrictions about subject and theme. .
- Multiple entries are not accepted.
- This prize is only for unpublished writing. (Online publications and self published publications are ineligible).
- Crater Library & Publisher reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches these guidelines.
- Entries may range from 3500-5000 words in length, 12 font size and Times New Roman font, 1.5 line spacing.
- All pages must be paginated.
- Preferred file formats of entries: PDF
- PDF entries should have title (placed center) and word count (placed far right)
- The body of the email shall include a short bio stating name, year of birth, address (place and state of residence), phone number and title of entry.
- Submit entry to “firstname.lastname@example.org“.
- Subject title of email must be “Entry for 2019 Mrs. Paula Chinwe Okafor Prize for Creative Non-Fiction”
Deadline of submission: Friday, 1st November, 2019 | 11:30pm WAT