Dr. Emmanuel C. Adukwu Prize for Literature
Crater Library & Publisher invites short stories and poetry submissions from secondary school students in Enugu state.
Dr. Emmanuel C. Adukwu Prize for Literature seeks to encourage and reward students who show a strong voice and excellent literary vision. This is the maiden edition of the award and it is being administered by the Crater Library & Publisher.
The theme for 2019 edition of the Dr. Emmanuel C. Adukwu Prize for Literature is ‘The Mask We Wear’.
Students are expected to explore narratives that irradiate the struggle of the Nigerian teenager in walking the path of discovery either prescribed by society or self.
Winning entry shall be awarded a school support fund of N50,000 and will be published on the AfricaWeek UK blog and Crater Library & Publisher Blog. School from which the winning entry emerged shall also get a donation of books for their school library.
The winner and his/her school shall be recognised and awarded on the 14th of December at the 2019 Crater Literary Festival, Enugu.
- Open to SS1-SS3 students in Enugu state.
- Creative writing for this prize covers only short story and poetry.
- Form teachers are expected to be very involved in coordinating the competition for their students.
- Every school is entitled to only 3 entries from its students.
- Multiple entries from same student is not allowed and if found out, shall be disqualified
- The prize is only for unpublished writing (online and self published publications are ineligible)
- Entries shall be collated by form teachers on 30th of October,2019.
- A representative of Crater Library & Publisher shall visit each school on the 31st of October, 2019 in order to collect all entries from form teachers.
- Crater Library & Publisher reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches the guidelines and format.
- Word count for short story should range from 3000 – 5000 words, while poems should not exceed 2 pages.
- All entries shall be printed on an A4 paper.
- Accepted font is Times New Roman, font size is 12 with 5 spacing.
- All pages must be paginated.
- Student’s name, school and class with Form Teacher’s phone number shall be written on the top left of the paper.
- Title of entry shall be boldly written beneath the student’s info with word count placed on the far right.
Deadline: Thursday, 31st of October,2019